Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Review: She Does Good Hair by Terri Gillespie


She Does Good Hair
by Terri Gillespie
Series: The Hair Mavens, Book One
October 2013
Source: PDF copy from author for review
Goodreads | Amazon

A hairdresser on the fast-track to salon fame, is yanked back to her hometown when she inherits a rundown salon with three beauticians--stuck in the 80s--and certain to maker her life a tangled mess. Only God could bring together four of the most unlikely of women to be a blessing to each other--that is if they don't kill each other first!

She Does Good Hair was such a fun read with lots of humor and plenty of heart. I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly it drew me in since I'm not a huge fan of chick-lit. It's just one of those genres I have to be in the mood for to read. But reading this was such a treat. I thought Terri did a wonderful job with the story and the spiritual aspects of it were absolutely beautiful! It was neat to see Christians and Jews joining together in fellowship!
 
Shira, Beulah, Harriet, and Kathy all captured my heart in some way. I loved that we got to follow each of these four ladies as they faced one struggle after another. It was so great to see how they dealt with them and how they slowly allowed themselves to depend on each other to get through. Beulah was one of my favorites. She was so kind hearted and forgiving. I loved how she'd still step up to help someone even if they had just hurt her seconds before. That was something I really liked about her. My favorite scenes have to be the ones that were set in the salon. It was such fun! It made me want to go get my hair done :D If only Shira could do it for me.. I'd love to chat with her! 
 
One thing I didn't expect was for this story to be so emotionally packed! Not only was there plenty of drama, but there were also heavy issues these characters dealt with. The death of her Aunt Edna was not the end of personal tragedies & crisis Shira experienced. I couldn't help but tear up as I watched her continue to run from God and try to fill the void with material things. I just have one thing to say. Be prepared with tissues!
 
This is a story I truly enjoyed. Faith, family, friends and fashion are mixed into this touching novel. I'm so glad I had a chance to read it. A big Thank You to Terri for the review copy. I cannot wait to read more!
 
 
Check out the book trailer! 



About Terri Gillespie
 
Terri Gillespie is a wife, mother, grandmother, author, and speaker. She is head writer for the
Restoration of Israel Minute heard on 25 stations in 11 states and Canada, has contributed to several other books, magazines, newspapers and published her first book, Making Eye Contact with God—A Women’s Devotional. Her first novel—The Hair Mavens: She Does Good Hair—released Oct.1st.

4 comments:

  1. What a delightful interview, Crystal! Thanks for your kind words and the read! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Crystal!! I was surprised as well how emotionally packed this novel was! Can't wait until book 2 comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laura! I can hardly wait for the next book :D

      Delete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim