Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Review: Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore

Angel Eyes
Series: Angel Eyes, #1
by Shannon Dittemore
Thomas Nelson (May 2012)
Source: Netgalley
Amazon | Goodreads

Once you've seen, you can't unsee. Everything changes when you've looked at the world through . . .Angel Eyes

Brielle went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She's come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and the incredible, numbing cold she can't seem to shake.

Jake's the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.

Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what's going to happen. And a beauty brighter than Jake or Brielle has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices start.

A realm that only angels and demons-and Brielle-can perceive.
 
Brielle Matthews has suffered a great loss. While attending school in the city her best friend, Ali, is murdered by her boyfriend. This tragedy has left Brielle feeling guily, broken, and full of grief because she feels like she could have done something to prevent it. Now she's headed back home to Stratus, Oregon to finish high school and try her best to leave all the events that are weighing her down behind. On her first day back to school she meets a new kid, Jake. There's more to him than meets the eye and it isn't long before Brielle finds out exactly what it is that draws her to him.

I had to re-read Angel Eyes before starting this review because it was about a year ago when I first read it and I didn't remember too much about it. It's a good thing I decided to read it again because I enjoyed it so much more this time around. I guess I just had to be in the mood for something like this and I definitely was! I read it all in almost one sitting and found it very hard to set my kindle down.

This story started out a bit slow as Brielle settles back into things at home. We can really see how much her guilt is weighing her down as she struggles to do simple daily tasks without falling apart. The details about her friends murder aren't revealed right away and that's what kept me turning the pages during this slow start. Things really pick up when Brielle begins to confide in Jake and a friendship blossoms between the two. It took time for Brielle to trust him, especially after she thought he was stalking her. But their relationship didn't feel rushed into or forced and that's something I really liked. I was especially happy there wasn't a love triangle in this story!

I thought the switching POV was done really well. It switched between Brielle, Jake, Canaan(Guardian Angel), and Damien (a demon). We were able to get a bigger picture of what was happening and I loved that. The storyline was unpredictable and things got intense toward the end. I thought this story was beautifully written and I loved how the author portrayed fear. The way fear was seen in the Celestial(Spiritual) realm was like a thick tar that oozes out of its victims. It's almost paralyzing and weighs heavily on them. I've experienced the kind of fear these characters felt where you can't shake the feeling of being suffocated and held back. I really liked how she described it and felt like I could totally relate to the way the characters felt.

A lot of people mentioned the similarities Angel Eyes had to Twilight and I definitely saw them, but I wasn't bothered by them at all. I actually prefer this book and would choose it over Twilight any day. Overall, I thought this was a great read! There's a nice mix of supernatural, fantasy, and romance thrown together to keep you engrossed in the story. Shannon Dittemore is a fantastic story teller and I'm looking forward to reading the other two books in the series.

 
About Shannon Dittemore  

Shannon Dittemore has an overactive imagination and a passion for truth. Her lifelong journey to combine the two is responsible for a stint at Portland Bible College, performances with local theater companies, and a focus on youth and young adult ministry. The daughter of one preacher and the wife of another, she spends her days imagining things unseen and chasing her two children around their home in Northern California. Angel Eyes is her first novel.


1 comment:

  1. I've heard so many great things about Shannon's novels! I actually have Angel Eyes sitting on my bookshelf right now, waiting to be read. Fantasy isn't typically my favorite genre, but the premise is intriguing and I can't wait to read it. :)

    Great review! I'm glad you weren't bothered by the similarities to Twilight; I've read some readers had issues with the resemblances.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim