Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Review: The Baker's Wife by Erin Healy

The Baker's Wife
by Erin Healy
Thomas Nelson (October 2011)
Source: From publisher for review
Amazon | Goodreads

Before Audrey was the baker's wife, she was the pastor's wife. 

Then a scandalous lie cost her husband a pastoral career. Now the two work side-by-side running a bakery, serving coffee, and baking fresh bread. But the hurt still pulls at Audrey.

Driving early one morning to the bakery, Audrey's car strikes something-or someone-at a fog-shrouded intersection. She finds a motor scooter belonging to a local teacher. Blood is everywhere, but there's no trace of a body.

Both the scooter and the blood belong to detective Jack Mansfield's wife, and he's certain that Audrey is behind Julie's disappearance.

But the case dead-ends and the detective spirals into madness. When he takes her family and some patrons hostage at the bakery, Audrey is left with a soul-damaged ex-con and a cynical teen to solve the mystery. And she'll never manage that unless she taps into something she would rather leave behind-her excruciating ability to feel other's pain.

I'll be honest with you, It's been a while since I read this novel and I feel so bad that I never got around to reviewing it until now! Obviously there are some things I don't remember too well about it, but one thing that stuck with me was the inspiring message of forgiveness and God's grace. The characters in this book are all flawed, they have their regrets and could use a second chance. And that's something we can all relate to, right? I really liked that they were very relatable and to me they felt like they could be real people who needed a friendly reminder of the amazing grace of God, just like a lot of us do.

Another thing I liked was the suspense. I thought Ms. Healy did a fantastic job with keeping readers in suspense as the mystery unfolded. The beginning did start off slow but from the moment Audrey was in a car accident on an early foggy morning and found a very bloody scene without a body, I was hooked! I couldn't stop reading until I found out every little detail about who, why, what, and how everything happened. In the end there were a couple unanswered questions, but it was still pretty satisfying to finally understand why/how certain things happened.

One thing I did find odd was Audrey's ability to literally feel other people's pain. At first I didn't like the idea because it seemed a little more on the paranormal side, but then once I read the author's reason for giving Audrey this gift it made a lot more sense to me. Now that I think of it, the gift did add a lot to the story and made things more interesting.

Overall, I thought this was a great read. I might not end up rereading it in the future but I would definitely recommend it to those who like Christian mystery/suspense.

 
About Erin Healy
Erin Healy is an award-winning fiction editor who has worked with talented novelists such as James Scott Bell, Melody Carlson, Colleen Coble, Brandilyn Collins, Traci DePree, L. B. Graham, Rene Gutteridge, Michelle McKinney Hammond, Robin Lee Hatcher, Denise Hildreth, Denise Hunter, Randy Ingermanson, Jane Kirkpatrick, Bryan Litfin, Frank Peretti,Lisa Samson, Randy Singer, Robert Whitlow, and many others.

She began working with Ted Dekker in 2002 and edited twelve of his heart-pounding storiesbefore their collaboration on Kiss, the first novel to seat her on “the other side of the desk.”

Erin is the owner of WordWright Editorial Services, a consulting firm specializing in fiction book development. She is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers and the Academy of Christian Editors. She lives with her family in Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim