Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Swipe by Evan Angler

Swipe
by Evan Angler
Tommy Nelson (May 2012)
Source: Publisher
Amazon | Goodreads

Logan Langley is just months away from his thirteenth birthday and the biggest day of his life- the day he will finally be Marked. The Mark lets people get jobs, vote, and even go out to eat or buy concert tickets.

Becoming Marked means becoming free. Or so he is told. Five years ago when Logan's sister went to get her Mark she never came back. Now Logan can't shake the feeling he's being watched...

And then he finds the wire.
 
Swipe is Evan Angler’s debut novel, and let me tell you… it was great! This fast paced dystopian mystery is one that its targeted middle grade audience will love. There’s tons of action and suspense to keep you flipping through the pages, and there are a few neat twists along the way. The beginning did start out slow and I had a bit of a hard time getting into it, but it wasn’t long before the pace picked up and the story really took off.

One thing I really liked was all the mystery. Throughout the majority of the book, there’s the mystery of who the kids of the Dust are and why they’re following Logan around. Once that’s all revealed, we still have the big mystery of what really happened to his sister, Lily, the day she was supposed to be Marked. Another thing I liked was how there was always a sense of danger looming just around the corner. It never felt safe for logan and I was constantly feeling as if something was about to jump out in front of me. Something about that feeling I got made me not want to stop reading because I didn't want to miss a thing.

When I think about how things are in Logan’s world, it’s a bit frightening because I can totally see our society going in that direction and just accepting it. The mark takes the place of money, credit cards, paperwork, etc. and once Logan receives it he can buy things and find a job. He can't do much without it, so that freedom is very appealing to any 12 year old who's sick of needing their parents around to buy ice cream or something. It's scary to think about!

The ending both surprised and upset me because we're just left hanging. I wanted so bad to continue on with the story and see what happened next! I guess I'll just have to be patient in waiting for book 2, Sneak, to be released later this year. Overall, I think Evan did a fantastic job on his first novel. It's well written and completely age appropriate for it's targeted audience. I think older teens and adults could even enjoy it. I can’t wait to read more of his work in the future.


3 comments:

  1. This book sounds interesting. I had not heard of it before. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reviewed this book too and loved it! Can't wait for the sequel to come out. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me.
    Thank you!
    Feel free to surf my site ... My Site

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim