Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Review: Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan (Litfuse Tour)

Crazy Dangerous
by Andrew Klavan
Thomas Nelson (May 2012)
Source: Netgalley
Amazon | Goodreads

"You probably want to hear about Jennifer and the demons and how I played chicken with a freight train and—oh yeah—the weird murder and how I found out about it—you're definitely going to want to hear about that. But first, I have to tell you about the stupidest thing I ever did . . ."

Sam Hopkins is bored with his status as a preacher's kid. So when a group of guys notorious for being in trouble offers him friendship, he accepts. Before long, he has several new skills—including hot-wiring cars.

At school, there's an eccentric loner named Jennifer. When Sam defends her from being bullied, she begins to seek him out as her only friend. Her ramblings often seem illogical . . . but then start to contain grains of truth. One leads Sam to discover that one of his new friends has been killed. And then she tells him, "I'm looking for the devil." Sam doesn't know what that means, but he knows it's a matter of life and death that he figure it out.

Everyone else thinks Jennifer is suffering from schizophrenia. But Sam is starting to wonder if there could be something prophetic in her words. Discovering the truth is going to be both crazy and dangerous.

Sam Hopkins is a preacher’s kid. All he wants is to fit in and break free from the expectations that come with the PK status. When he starts hanging out with the town thugs who spend their free time stealing cars, he realizes that these aren’t the kind of friends he wants. He knows what he needs to do, but isn’t sure how to do it. Do Right. Fear Nothing. These are the words that he keeps hearing over and over in his head. One day when his friends start picking on Jennifer, the weird girl at his school, he stands up to them even though it means he'll get beaten up.

Jennifer is tormented by voices in her head and has visions of terrible things happening. After Sam defended her, she now sees him as her magical friend. She begins telling him about the visions she’s had of tragedy striking their town. No one believes her and neither does Sam at first. But when the visions begin coming true, Sam is determined to do whatever it takes to stop the disasters from happening.

I'll start off with Sam. I liked his character a lot. He hated being pushed around and never backed down from a fight. You have to understand though, he wasn’t a tough guy at all so he was always the one getting beat up. And bad. It was so funny how he didn't know how to keep his mouth shut! The sarcastic remarks he'd throw at the bullies always made me laugh. But the reason why I liked him isn't because he fought a lot, it's because he always stood up to the bullies and did what was right. He had courage.

Jennifer was very weird. At first she creeped me out, but I eventually warmed up to her. In the beginning she’s in her room and she’s hearing voices telling her that they were the angels of death and that they would destroy everyone. It seems like it has to do with something paranormal, right? That's what I thought throughout most of the book, but when all was revealed in the end, it was such a surprise to find out where those voices were really coming from.

Crazy Dangerous was a fast-paced adventure with plenty of suspense to keep you flipping the pages. I actually liked it so much more than I thought I would. It was a bit creepy and scary at times, but I just couldn’t stop reading. The mystery was done so well and the unexpected plot twists really surprised me. When you start this novel there is no stopping. I didn't want to set it down because I felt like I'd miss something good. You should avoid reading this at night, though! I read it before going to bed and ended up getting scared =D. LOL!
 
 

{About the author}
Andrew Klavan was hailed by Stephen King as "the most original novelist of crime and suspense since Cornell Woolrich." He is the recipient of two Edgar Awards and the author of such bestsellers as True Crime and Don't Say a Word.

His books and screenplays have been turned into films directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Michael Douglas, Ed Burns, Michael Caine among others.

For more about Andrew and his books for young adults, visit him at the Adventure Page on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. I reviewed this book -
    http://wall-to-wall-books.blogspot.com/2012/04/crazy-dangerous-by-andrew-klavan-review.html

    I loved it! I gave it 5 stars.
    Jennifer was weird, but I loved her! The book was so full of mystery and adventure. Great writing.

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good! I look forward to reading it! Great review, Crystal! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim