Thursday, May 17, 2012

Back up your posts

Hey guys! I've been wanting to do this post for a while now but wasn't sure if anyone would actually find it helpful. If you end up learning something new and useful it would be awesome if you left a comment letting me know! Thanks =D

I've come across a few bloggers this past year who have somehow lost all their posts. I honestly don't know how that happens and thank God I haven't had that experience. I can't even imagine what that must feel like! Months, even years worth of hard work gone just like that. That would be horrible! The good news is that you can back up your blog (posts and comments) onto your computer to make sure you're prepared for something like that. Do you know how to do that? If you have a Blogger blog, I'll show you how in 3 easy steps :)

Step 1: From your Dashboard go to Settings | Other

Step 2: You'll see "Blog Tools" at the top. Click "Export Blog"

Step 3: Now download and save!

Your blog is now saved in a Blogger export file (.xml) on your computer for safe keeping. I like to do this every month or two since new posts are always being created. And if you ever do end up losing your posts or accidentally deleting them(I hope this never happens to you!), you'll be so happy you have backup!

Importing
To import that Blogger export file onto your blog, go to Settings | Options, from the "Blog Tools" section click "Import Blog" and upload your file. All of your posts will remain unpublished until you manually publish them. If you want them all to publish automatically after being imported, make sure the box next to automatically publish imported posts is checked before you click Import Blog. And that's all there is to it :)

Again, I hope you found this at least a teensy bit helpful! If you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer the best I can.

10 comments:

  1. wow Crystal, i DID NOT know this could be done! thank you for this tip, SOOOOO helpful! I just did it :) Blogger is such a helpful tool with managing my blog, but I was unaware of this feature. Thanks again, Crystal, from me and my blog!
    Blessings, Kara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Kara! I'm so glad you found this helpful :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I really don't want to lose everything I've done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I haven't saved my blog since 2 months ago - I didn't know it had been that long! So I just saved it again. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Crystal, for sharing this! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always worried about losing my blog content somehow. I did not know I could do this. Thank you! (a million times) :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim