Monday, February 6, 2012

Blogger Interview ~ My Favorite Pastime

Getting to know the blogger behind the reviews!

I have another great interview for you all. Joining us today is Julie from My Favorite Pastime!

My Favorite Pastime”= Tell us a little bit about your blog.
My blog is: http://myfavoritepastime.blogspot.com
It used to be My Only Vice but I was contacted by a company that asked me to rename my blog because their adult business was also named My Only Vice and they thought our same name would be detrimental to all parties. I heartily agreed! I review books on my blog. I review all genres. I have also done a couple of author interviews, guest posts, and featured books. I mainly focus on reviewing though. I try to keep my blog simple and uncluttered because that is the way I like my life. So when you visit my blog I feel that it reflects my personality very well.  

How long have you been blogging?
Approximately 3 years. I started reviewing in December of 2009. Before that I had a blog that I just kept track of my reading record.  

What got you started in blogging your book reviews?
I worked in a middle school library and my friend Karin(Karin’s Book Nook) was the librarian. She was always doing things on the computer and asked me if I would like to start a book review blog. Like I said before, I started out in 2008 by just keeping track of the books I read. Then in 2009 I branched out to do reviews. I felt extremely unqualified, and still do! But I have fun meeting authors and visiting other bloggers.  

What genre is your favorite and why?
Romantic Suspense is my favorite. I love romance, but I also love a story that keeps me on the edge of my seat…combining the two is icing on the cake!  

What is/are your favorite book(s) of all time?
Oh wow! So hard…My favorite classic is Pride and Prejudice. I’m a series fan and have several that are favorites: The O’Malley series by Dee Henderson The Californian series by Lori Wick The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer The River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren  

Who are your 3 favorite authors?
Lori Wick(I don’t think she is writing anymore, but I think I own everything she ever wrote) Agatha Christie-I never picked up a book of hers that I didn’t like How bout I just stick with 2? There are so many others that I love love love!

If you had to pick one, what's the best book you've read in the past year?
This is cheating, but like I said I am a series fanatic so my favorite series was The River of Time series. They captured me from the moment I opened the first book.  

The River of Time series is my fav. too! I can't get enough of it. If you had the chance to invite some book characters over for dinner, who would you choose?
Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth of course! Hercule Poirot(he and his gray cells are a must for any dinner party!). And just to mix it up I would love to have Marcello, Luca, Gabi, Lia and of course Lord Greco to round the party all out.

Lord Greco is a must on the invite list! Is there a particular movie or TV series that you preferred over the book version?
I always prefer the book version best. You can’t do a book justice in a 2 hour movie. I think the best adaptation that I have seen of a book is the Pride and Prejudice series with Colin Ferth as Mr. Darcy. 

Have you read a book that you would like to rewrite the ending of?
YES! Gone With The Wind…I hate the ending of that book! Rhett and Scarlet are destined to be together and Margaret Mitchell should have made it that way. Even though another author years later wrote Scarlet it just wasn’t the same as if Margaret Mitchell would have. And then of course any book that doesn’t end with the Happily Ever After that I absolutely crave. I want closure and I want happy!

Favorite book character?
Elizabeth Bennett-she is full of sass and not afraid to speak her mind in a very proper British kind of way.

A character you love to hate?
Jacob Black from the Twilight series! He’s the fly in the ointment, yet I feel sorry for him and want all the best for him.  

How many books do you read in a month - roughly?
Between 8-12

Which do you prefer, Ebook or Print?
Print. I love covers and love being able to freely page through a book to find what I’m looking for. I do love my Kindle also, but more for the convenience of taking it when I travel rather than a bag full of books.

What do you like to do when you aren't blogging?
I crochet. I also love to go visit my grandchildren. I love the little boogers!  

What advice would you give new book bloggers?
I’m not particularly a fountain of advice as I am kind of still learning the ropes myself. One thing I have learned is that I can say no to authors and publishers. A person can get overwhelmed with the requests. Since I am an eclectic reader I have had to make it quite clear to people requesting me to read their books that I refuse to read anything sexual in nature or offensive in language. Stand by your beliefs, there are other bloggers out there that don’t mind reading what you may not like.  

If there was something you’d want your readers to take away from reading your blog, what would it be?
I hadn’t ever thought of this before, but when the adult fetish company contacted me to change my blog name they stated in their letter that they “notice that I have strong Christian beliefs” So I guess what I would like for readers to take away from my blog is that sense of who I am in Christ. I don’t want to shame Him in any way and that includes the books I read.

* * *
Oh wow, I love that. I hope the same for myself and my blog, too. Thanks so much for the interview Julie! 

Find Julie

9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Crystal for interviewing me! What a fun way to get to know fellow bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for doing the interview! I'm so glad you had fun!

      Delete
  2. I love that last response, too!! Great interview, Julie and Crystal - thank you for sharing!

    Julie, I so appreciate your friendship! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Amber! I love your blog and spiritual insights that you share with everyone.

      Delete
  3. Crystal - you chose a great person to interview. Julie is the BEST person to get to know. I LOVE HER and am proud to call her a best friend. We make a good team. You should come see what we do together at Edifying and Edgy (http://www.edifyingandedgy.com).

    Crystal - I love your blog design. It is adorable. Your ladybug rating system is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, back at ya Karin!

      She's right Crystal, the ladybug rating system is GREAT!

      Delete
    2. Karin - You are so right! Julie is fabulous and I had such a great time getting to know her. I'm very happy I had the chance to interview her.

      I stopped by Edifying and Edgy earlier. It's an awesome site you two have and I'm now a new follower :)

      Thank you ladies. I love those ladybugs. Aren't they the cutest!

      Delete
  4. Julie, I appreciate your work in reviewing edifying/inspirational books and am thankful you reviewed my YA books. It was fun to read a little more about the person behind the reviews. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim