Saturday, January 14, 2012

DNF: The Reluctant Prophet


The Reluctant Prophet
by Nancy Rue
David C. Cook (October 1, 2010)
Source: Received from publisher for review
Pages read: 130 of 490
Goodreads

At age forty-two, Allison Chamberlain is still making a half-hearted attempt to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up. Although she has been a pew-sitting member of a church for seven years, “prophet” has never been on the short list of possible careers. 

Then one Sunday Allison senses a divine nudge to buy a Harley motorcycle and go wherever it takes her. Soon she is wondering if she is called to present the reality of Christ to one of society’s darkest corners—and challenge her own church to look beyond their fears. 

The first in a brave trilogy from seasoned writer Nancy Rue, The Reluctant Prophet shows how one person’s response to God’s call can change a community forever.

I feel so bad that I DNF-ed this book! I was honestly looking forward to reading it and hoped I would like it as much as other reviewers did. Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the first 130 pages.

The story's pacing was pretty slow, at times, too slow for me. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't focus on what I was reading. I kept getting distracted so I would set the book aside for a while and pick it up again later. That happened a few times until I eventually gave up. I don't easily give up on books. With this one, I went up to chapter seven before I set it down for good, so you can't say I didn't it a chance. =p

It's not that the writing was horrible or anything, I just couldn't get into it. I really wanted to enjoy this book, but I didn't connect with any of the characters and it felt like I was waiting so long for the story to start already. After reading up to where I did and still not having any real interest in the characters or story, I thought it was pretty safe to just DNF it. 


I would really hate for anyone to miss out on a book that they might've loved because of me, so if you were thinking about reading it you should check out the other reviews it got. Just to get another opinion. :)
 

2 comments:

  1. Hiya, i love your blog its lovely!! It's a shame that this book wasn't for you x

    Jessica from Booked Up!
    http://www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com/
    :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about reading this book, but now I don't think I will. I really don't like slow books. Thanks for the review.

    Melanie
    http://christianbookshelfreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim