Monday, December 5, 2011

Review: Waking Hours

Waking Hours (East Salem Trilogy #1)
by Lis Wiehl with Pete Nelson
Thomas Nelson (October 4, 2011)
Amazon | Goodreads

All towns have secrets. Some have demons.

Welcome to East Salem. A sleepy town with a history older than America where things are just a bit off. Where the supernatural bleeds into the everyday.

And where a tragic murder mystery is underway. A high school girl is found dead in the town park. And where forensic psychiatrist Dani Harris wants answers. All the suspects are teenagers who were at the party with her the night before-but who woke up the next morning with no memory of what transpired. Even though evidence confirms they were all at the scene of the crime.

Former pro-football linebacker-and local celebrity-Tommy Gunderson finds himself drawn to the case. And to Dani-who he last spoke with on their one high school date forever ago. Yet his celebrity status opens doors barred to Dani-so they form an awkward alliance.

They soon realize that there's more to the mystery than murder. And more to the evil they are facing than a mere human killer.

..My Thoughts..

When I started reading Waking Hours the only thing I knew was that it would probably be a creepy story. I was so right about that. I'm not usually into books with supernatural elements so I was very surprised that I enjoyed this story as much as I did. I do want to warn you, the descriptions of the murdered teen girl are very graphic and might be too much for some. It didn't bother me, but I know some people wouldn't like to read such gory details.

Dani and Tommy were interesting characters and I really liked the interaction between the two. Throughout the story their relationship grew and hidden feelings between them were slowly revealed. They worked well together and nothing between them seemed forced. It all felt natural.

I have to admit. I found the beginning scenes pretty disturbing. I really wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish. But after a while I just couldn't stop reading. One thing I would suggest is that you don't read this before going to bed. I made the mistake of doing that and was beyond creeped out. Ha!

Lis Wiehl and Pete Nelson wrote a great murder mystery/thriller. The cliff hanger ending is so unfair! I wish I could turn the page and find the continuation of the story. I don't like waiting, but unfortunately I have to. I'm looking forward to seeing where the authors take this story. Waking Hours had me on edge and, at times, freaked out, but I still enjoyed it and will definitely be looking out for book 2.


 
(This ebook was provided for review by Thomas Nelson Publishers through Booksneeze.)

2 comments:

  1. I saw this book before, but didn't think it was my kind of book. However, after reading your review, I may have just changed my mind. Given the chance, I'd probably give the book a try.

    Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on the fence about if I should read this one or not. I love Lis Wiehl but I'm easily creeped out. :) I may have to give it a shot though ... sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim