Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Review: Water's Edge

Water's Edge by Robert Whitlow
Thomas Nelson (July 19, 2011)
Christian Fiction/Thriller

Sometimes the smallest towns hold the biggest secrets. Ambitious young attorney Tom Crane is about to become a partner in a big-city law firm. One final matter has to be cleared from his docket—the closing of his deceased father’s law practice in the small town of Bethel. Killed in a tragic boating accident, John Crane didn’t leave his son anything except the hassle of a bankrupt estate.

Then, within twenty-four hours, Tom loses his job, his girlfriend, and his cat. Job didn’t have it much worse.

Returning to Bethel with his pride ground to powder, Tom’s plan to quietly shut down his father’s practice and slink out of town runs into an unexpected roadblock—two million dollars of unclaimed money stashed in a secret bank account. Tom follows the money into a tangled web of lies, theft, and off-shore financial transactions manipulated by powerful men who will do anything to stop him from discovering the truth.

..My Thoughts..

I don’t think I’ve read a legal thriller before this one, probably because they’ve always seemed like they could be boring. I decided to give Water's Edge a try and I’m glad that I did, but I still have mixed feelings for it. On one hand, I really liked the mystery it had and that we got to see the main character, Tom, grow so much spiritually. On the other hand, the pace of the story was pretty slow until the last half of the book. I drifted off a few times while reading it and would get a little bored of the legal talk between the characters. It got to a frustrating point where I had to put it down and continue later. About halfway through I got interested all over again because of the nonstop thrill, mystery, and twists.

One of the characters I really liked was Tom's great-uncle, Elias. He was a sweet old man with a big heart and an even bigger passion and love for God. Unlike Elias, Tom had no faith in God at first. His struggles and heartache led him to eventually search for Him and his faith and dependance on Him grew. The spiritual aspects didn't take away from the story and it didn't feel too "preachy" like some people have said. I thought it was weaved seamlessly into the rest of the story and added a wonderful message.

This book deals with theft, murder, lies, and betrayal, with a teensy weensy bit of romance that I would have liked to see blossom into something more. Maybe there'll be a sequel that'll tie up some of the loose ends. Overall, I enjoyed the story and Whitlow's refreshing writing style. I look forward to reading more of his work.

Rating - 4 stars

(This book was provided for review by Thomas Nelson Publishers through their BookSneeze program.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Crystal - I wondered how this one was. I posted about another one of Robert Whitlow's books last night ... made the mistake of picking up the second one without having read the first one first, though! I'll have to check Water's Edge out and give him a "second chance." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke - Yeah you should definitely check it out. Keep watching, I'll be giving away my copy soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim