Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Waterfall Wednesdays - Week 4


Waterfall Wednesdays - A Read-Along Event 
Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren 
Discussion 4 - Chapters 18-23 
Today's questions hosted by Supernatural Snark

Discussion Questions

Gabi and Lia both face several life and death situations in these chapters, having to pick up weapons in defense of those they love and experiencing first hand the brutality of close combat. If you had the choice between picking up a weapon and standing on the front lines or staying behind to tend to the wounded as necessary, which would you choose?

My choice would definitely be to tend to the wounded. The thought of being in a battle doesn't sit well with me. I've always wanted to be a nurse so I think I'd be a lot more help tending to the brave, wounded soldiers.

Both girls get to wear extraordinary gowns to their victory celebration; what would your dream medieval gown look like?

Those medieval gowns are so beautiful! I don't know what my dream gown would look like though. I know I'd want it to be a pretty blue, but that's about as far I've come to envisioning one for myself.

Gabi has crude stitches put in and must endure both their removal as well as the cauterization of the wound. How is your threshold for pain? Do you think you would have simply gritted your teeth as Gabi does?

I think I can handle pain pretty good. Then again, I've never actually gone through a lot of physical pain like from broken bones, burns, really deep cuts, or childbirth. I do get bad headaches every now and again. I don't like taking anything for them so I just suck it up and get through them.

If I ever had to experience the pain Gabi went through I probably would have been screaming the whole time and praying that I'd pass out sooner than later.

Marcello wants to properly court Gabi after they express mutual feelings of affection, wanting to speak with her mother about his intentions. What do you think is the most romantic aspect of medieval courtship?

I think that's my favorite and most romantic part of medieval courtship. When the guy would go and talk to the father and ask his permission to court his daughter. It shows the respect he has for the girl and her parents.

The guy my best friend is dating went to her parents a few weeks ago to ask their permission to date her. I just love that there are still guys out there who are willing to do that.

Gabi and Lia find themselves with conflicting desires toward the end with Lia wanting to return home and Gabi hoping to stay. Do you think that Gabi is being unfair to Lia for wanting to stay, or is Lia being unfair to Gabi for demanding they go? A little of both?

In this case I think it was a little of both. Lia wasn't being understanding of her sister and her growing feelings toward Marcello. Gabi was being selfish for expecting her sister to leave everything else in her life behind(ahead?) and start a new life in the fourteenth century. I think they both had good reasons for being a little selfish about what they wanted.

Those are my answers for this week's Waterfall Wednesdays! If you'd like to join in, head on over to Supernatural Snark and link up your answers!

9 comments:

  1. Awwwww! Your best friend sounds like a lucky girl. I've never dated a guy who asked for permission. :(

    It sounds so sweet.

    Great answers this week, Crystal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on asking permission, it's such a romantic notion I think:) I know with absolute certainty that I would have passed out with the stitches, there's no trying to deny my wimpy-ness, I just need to embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely a hard decision for Lia and Gabi whether to stay of go. They both have different views and one will eventually have to give in. I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky friend you have. But we as women(girls) need to expect respect also. It is romantic when the guy is willing to go to the parents. But some aren't taught that. We sometimes need to be the ones to initiate that respect. There, that is my preachable moment for the day. LOL! I like your answer to #1 as well, way to be a nurturer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY...me and you girl, we would be the kick-butt wound nurses....we would be so awesome Marcello and Luca and Greco would be fighting over us...:D

    Loved your answers this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. asking permission is def rare and worth applauding!
    i had fun searching and posting my gown choice...
    see you later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want a blue dress as well! :) Something very elegant about blue :)

    I thought Gabi and Lia both had good reasons for acting like they did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good answers--and I think, hope, there might be a turn in society back to a bit of chivalry and respect. I think there's something in us, down deep, that all hunger for a bit more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missie - Thanks! Yeah she is one lucky girl!

    Jenny - Lol! I know me too =D

    Lisa - Me too!

    Julie - I completely agree with you!

    Tina - Yes we would! Thanks!

    Faith Hope Cherrytea - I loved seeing all the beautiful gowns all the ladies chose!

    Jacinda - Yes elegant is the perfect word and I imagine a blue dress feeling very lightweight and airy too.

    Lisa Bergren - Thank you :) Yeah I agree and I'm hoping for the same!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim