Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Nick of Time


Nick of Time by Tim Downs
Thomas Nelson (May 17, 2011)
Genre: Fiction/Mystery/Suspense

The Bug Man is getting married on Saturday 
. . .if his fiancee can find him.

Forensic entomologist Nick Polchak lives in a world of maggots and blow flies and decomposing bodies. No wonder he's still single.

But Nick has finally found a woman as strange as he is—dog trainer Alena Savard, a woman who is odd, reclusive, and can seemingly talk to animals. It was a match made in heaven. Nick and Alena are scheduled to be married on Saturday—but there's one small problem. Nick has disappeared.

Caught up in a murder case involving an old friend, Nick finds himself on a manhunt that's drawing him farther and farther from the church where Alena is waiting. But will he make it back in time? Could Nick's single-minded focus cause him to forget his own wedding? Is he really pursuing a killer, or is he running away from something else?

...My Thoughts...

Nick of Time was a suspenseful read full of mystery, thrill, and lots of drama tossed in the mix. Since this is the 6th book in the Bug Man series I did expect to feel lost at times since I haven't read the others, but I was surprised at how well I was able to follow along. This book would do fine as a stand alone and I thought the author did a great job of filling us in.

Nick Polchak is a stubborn, obnoxious, extremely sarcastic guy, but he’s still a very unique character. There were other strong, likeable characters with different personalities that fit the story well. The plot was a bit slow but it gradually picked up and by the middle I couldn't stop reading. I also learned a few things about maggots, blow flies, and other types of flies that are drawn to decomposing bodies. I’m a big fan of CSI so I wasn’t really grossed out, lol! There were some parts that I just skimmed through because I wasn’t all that interested in how maggots pupate(is that how you say it?) and I wanted to get on with the story.

Other than the few unrealistic parts in the plot, I thought this was a well written novel. There are definitely things that caught me off guard and at one point I actually had that ‘heart drop’ feeling! It was also the suspense that kept me reading, I couldn't even come up with my own guess to the big mystery and the answer surprised and frustrated me at the same time. I was upset over how the ending turned out, but it still left me wanting more. I don’t know if I would say this is a Christian novel. I don’t remember the characters mentioning their faith or anything about God. It’s still a very clean read that anyone can enjoy, as long as you don’t mind all the bug talk. I'll definitely be looking out for the others in the series now.

Rating - 4 stars

(This book was provided for review by Thomas Nelson through Netgalley.)

2 comments:

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim