Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: The Canary List


The Canary List by Sigmund Brouwer 
WaterBrook Press (June 21, 2011)
Fiction/Suspense

Protected by the dark of night, Jaimie Piper runs. But is anywhere safe when Evil is hunting you?

She’s just a twelve year-old girl, bumped around between foster homes and relegated to school classes for challenged kids, those lagging in their test scores or with behavioral issues. But her real problem is that she can sense something the other kids can’t—something dark. Something compelling her to run for her life.

All Crockett Grey wants is to mark the anniversary of his daughter’s death alone. But when his student Jaimie comes to him, terrified, her need for protection collides with his grief, and a tangled web of bizarre events sends them both spiraling toward destruction. Crockett’s one hope of getting his life back is to uncover the mysterious secrets of Jaimie’s past and her strange gift. It isn’t long before his discoveries lead him to a darker conspiracy, secrets guarded by the highest seat of power in the world—the Vatican. 

...My Thoughts... 

Sigmund Brouwer is a new-to-me author so I didn't know what to expect from The Canary List. Reading the book description I thought, "This actually sounds like it could be really good!" I was excited and thought I was going to like it, but it turns out that it's not my kind of story. I didn't like that there was so much about witches, satanism, and demons. The satanic ritual scenes in the beginning were a huge turn off so at that point I basically had my mind set on how I felt about it. I didn't want to be unfair so I made myself read the entire story. If I hadn't done that, I know some people might say I didn't give it a chance. Well... I finished it and still feel the same way about it.

The beginning of the story was fast paced and the characters were interesting, but that ended after a few chapters. Towards the middle things started to get confusing and it was hard for me to follow along with the story. There were a lot of characters, so every time the point of view would switch from one to another it would get even more confusing. I didn't understand where the author was leading us and the ending really doesn't offer any kind of answers.

 With there being so much emphasis on all the evil in the world, I was expecting for the author to end with the fact that Jesus has already conquered it. There is no message of the hope we have in Christ and that irritated me the most. I don't expect every story I read to have a happy ending or to be neatly wrapped up in a bow, but since this is labeled as Christian fiction I'd expect it to have a message of redemption, hope, or God's love for us. I don't like giving negative reviews but it's just the way I feel about this book. Others might have really liked it but it just wasn't for me and I wouldn't be able to recommend it for the above reasons.

Rating - 2 stars

(This book was provided for review by Waterbrook Multnomah through their Blogging for Books program.)
 

4 comments:

  1. I've not read this author but wondered what his books were like. Probably not my kind of book. Good "negative" review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I don't think this is a book that I would enjoy either...for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! I really don't like giving a negative review, but I just had to with this one =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book a while ago and I wasn't crazy about it either!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim