Sunday, November 14, 2010

In Every Heartbeat

In Every Heartbeat. Kim Vogel Sawyer. Bethany House Publishers. September 2010. Paperback. 352 pages.

In Every Heartbeat is a historical fiction novel set in the early 1900's in Chambers, Missouri. Elisabet(Libby), Bennett, and Pete are three friends who grew up in an orphanage together and are now in college ready to follow their dreams. Libby wants to become a famous journalist, Pete wants to become a minister, and Bennett just wants to have fun and pledge a fraternity. Along the way, each of them face unexpected challenges and their friendship begins to tear at the seams. Will they be able to keep the tight bond they once had? Or will they just grow apart in the midst of their struggles?

I actually enjoyed this book a little more than I thought I would. I was unfamiliar with the author, so I wasn't sure if I'd like her writing style. The book description had me thinking WWI would be a bigger part of the story, but I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't. The romance between two of the characters was sweet and I enjoyed seeing where their close friendship went. Although the book had a slow start, it picked up about 200 pages in and I became a lot more interested in where the story was going for these characters. There were a few times when the situations were unrealistic, but other times I found what they were going through to be very relatable. Without having to read the first book, I was able to follow along just fine and I thought it was a good read. This is a sweet, relaxing, well written novel and I'd say anyone who likes historical fiction with a little romance mixed in would enjoy it.

My Rating: 3/5 stars

To buy this from the publisher click HERE

(This book was provided for review by Bethany House Publishers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim