Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way

Bittersweet. Shauna Niequist. Zondervan.
July 2010. Hardcover. 256 pages.

Book Description:
In her follow-up book to Cold Tangerines, author Shauna Niequist shifts her gaze to the challenges and blessings of change in Bittersweet. Drawing from her own experiences in a recent season of pain and chaos, she explores the bits of wisdom and growth we earn the hard way, through change, loss, and transition, and offers her own reflections on what brought her hope along the way.

My Review:
Shauna Niequist is a very talented, down to earth author. She's honest, funny, and has a great way of making you feel like you're having a conversation with one of your girlfriends. In Bittersweet, she shares about some really great moments in her life, along with dark and painful ones. She's gone through a lot, but her faith has grown and remained strong because of it all. To be completely honest, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I expected I would. Some parts were really great and I felt glued to the pages, but other times I couldn't even remember what I had just read. I kept wandering off and had to re-read a lot of times.

This book reads more like a journal or blog and the chapters are really short. A chapter titled, "Grace is a new math," was the most memorable and something she said really stuck with me.. "Grace isn't about having a second chance; grace is having so many chances that you could use them through all eternity and never come up empty... It's the moment you feel as precious and handmade as every star, when you feel, finally, at home."pg. 83 One thing I can say is that this book offers a bit of hope to other women that might be going through similar situations she found herself in. Even though I didn't get much out of this book, it just might be the one for you. I'd suggest you read a little more on it and who knows, you might end up loving it.

My Rating: 3/5 stars

To buy this from the publisher click HERE

(This book was provided for review by Zondervan.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim