Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Butterfly Effect: How Your Life Matters

The Butterfly Effect. Andy Andrews. Thomas Nelson. August 2010.
Hardcover. 112 pages.

"Everything you do matters TO ALL OF US FOREVER."

I recently named Andy Andrews one of my favorite authors after I read The Heart Mender. I was so excited when I got the chance to read The Butterfly Effect, which is his #1 most requested story. Andrews starts the book off by sharing the story of Edward Lorenz and his hypothesis that a butterfly could flap its wings and set molecules of air in motion, which would move other molecules of air, in turn moving other molecules of air - eventually capable of starting a hurricane on the other side of the planet. He then goes on sharing the stories of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and Norman Borlaug. Readers see just how much of an impact their actions can have on others around the world, not only today, but in the years to come. 

This is a short gift book that can be read in about 15 minutes or so. I enjoyed reading about these ordinary men that made a big difference in the world, but in the end I felt that it was lacking something. Mention of God maybe? YES! On one part it says, "You have been created in order that you might make a difference. You have within you the power to change the world." That was a perfect opportunity to add, You have been created in order that you might make a difference for the glory of God or God has the power to fulfill His purpose through you. Yes, our life and the things we do and say matter, but it is ultimately for a higher purpose, one that God has already chosen for us. Apart from God, we can do nothing. I don't think I would recommend this book to friends and family, not because it's not good, but because it doesn't have a biblical foundation. I wish I could say that I liked it, but I just can't.

My Rating: 2/5

To buy this from the publisher click HERE
To read more reviews click HERE

(This book was provided for review by Thomas Nelson Publishers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim