Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Homecoming: A Novel

The Homecoming. Dan Walsh. Revell. June 2010.
Paperback. 310 pages.


The Homecoming is the sequel to Dan Walsh's, The Unfinished Gift. This story starts where the previous left off.

This story is set in the 1940's during WWII. Shawn Collins, a fighter pilot, is returning home a war hero. Unfortunately, the reason he's heading home is to grieve over the tragic death of his wife, Elizabeth. He was ready to stay home and take care of his little boy, Patrick, but the military had other plans for him. They were sending him off to be a speaker for a war bond tour. Shawn really just wanted to be with his son during that hard time, but he had no choice. He knew his father, Ian, was too old to fully care for Patrick, so he goes to Katherine for help.

Katherine Townsend, a young social worker that helped place Patrick with his grandfather after his mother's death, was delighted when Shawn asked her to be Patrick's nanny while he was gone. She loved that little boy as if he were her own. She missed him so much and was excited about seeing him again. Katherine also finds herself falling in love with Shawn, and he struggles with these feelings he's having for her too. He just can't get over the guilt of his wife's death and asks to keep everything professional between them. Will he be able to love again?

The Homecoming is a sweet love story. Although I haven't had a chance to read The Unfinished Gift, I was able to go along with the story just fine. It had my full attention from the beginning all the way through to the end. The vivid descriptions had me envisioning the scenes being played out as I read along. My favorite part is the action packed scenes on the aerial battlefield as Shawn fought hard to get away from enemy fighters. Dan Walsh is a very talented writer. He brought the time period, characters, and story to life. You really need to have tissue handy when reading this book. It's an emotional, heartwarming, fast paced story full of adventure, love, drama, family, and forgiveness. This beautifully written historical, romance novel is a must read! I'm definitely going to grab a copy of the first book now.

My Rating: 5/5 stars

To buy this from the publisher click HERE

(This book was not provided for review purposes. I won it in a blog giveaway.)

2 comments:

  1. Crystal, so glad you enjoyed The Homecoming. Google Alerts flagged me about your review. I'm going to mention it on Twitter.

    I saw that you liked The Heart Mender too. I really enjoyed that book myself.

    Thanks again for your kind words,

    Dan Walsh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm really looking forward to reading more of your work.

    God Bless!
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim