Monday, July 5, 2010

Saving Sailor (Indian Island Trilogy - Book 1)

Saving Sailor: A novel. Renée Riva. RiverOak. May 2007. 
Paperback. 224 pages.

This story is set in the summer of 1968 on Indian Lake, as the Degulio family are on vacation. The main character is a carefree 9 year old named Angelina Juliana, but she prefers to be called A.J. She enjoys drifting on the lake with her dog Sailor and driving her mother crazy by talking in a Southern accent. It bothers her so much because they're an Italian family and, "No full-blooded Roman Catholic Italian child raised in the Northwest can possibly have a Southern accent."pg 17. 

It's about half way through the summer when A.J meets 13 year old, Danny Morgan. They both share a love for God, star-gazing, and the lake. Danny's family begins to fall apart when his father has an affair, or as A.J says, "He had a sleepover with another lady." Even though this has happened before, Danny knows his mom will forgive her husband again. After a series of events, A.J has an accident and something unexpected happens. The lives of both the Degulio and Morgan family are changed for the better.

I love this book! I instantly fell in love with each of the characters and A.J's crazy family reminds me of my own. A.J.'s innocence and quirky sense of humor drew me in even more. This is the kind of book I like to read. It's a cute, funny, heartwarming story and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next when A.J and her family head to Tuscany. This is the first book in the series about A.J by Renée Riva. The other two are Taking Tuscany and Heading Home

My Rating: 5/5 stars

You can read the first chapter HERE
To buy this from the publisher click HERE

*Special thanks to Karen Stoller of David C. Cook for sending me a review copy.*

2 comments:

  1. OK, I am totally getting this book!
    Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim