Thursday, July 22, 2010

Boyduck Goose: His Life and Times

Boyduck Goose: His Life and Times. Harriet Lila Baker. Dorrance Publishing. 
July 2004. 64 pages. Reading Level: 9-12

This is a short book with the chapters being about 1-2 pages long. I requested it with my 4 year old niece in mind. She loves animals and I thought she would really enjoy it. I didn't know that there are no pictures, so she lost interest very quickly when I began reading it. Kids that can read on their own would probably enjoy it a lot more, but their are a few words that would be harder for beginners so it's a great book for parents to read to or with their kids. I thought the story was cute and funny at times and it only took me about 30 minutes to read the whole thing. There are a few things I didn't like though. There is a chapter titled, "On the subject of alcohol." I just don't think kids books need to have anything about alcohol, beer, etc. The next chapter is Mr. Sam's version of Derby Day and he tells the story of how Boyduck got drunk and passed out. Of course there is nothing in this book that would encourage drinking, but there also isn't anything showing kids how bad, unhealthy, and dangerous it is. Those two chapters alone would most likely make parents not even consider purchasing this book, and I think it's pretty sad because, besides those chapters, the book is pretty good. Overall the story was enjoyable, but it would have done just fine without chapters 9 and 10.

My Rating: 2/5 stars (Only because of those chapters)

To buy this from the publisher click HERE



(This book was provided for review by Dorrance Publishing Co.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim