Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Voice New Testament

The Voice New Testament. Thomas Nelson. October 2008. Trade Paper. 480 pages.

I received this copy of The Voice New Testament from Thomas Nelson's Booksneeze blogger program. Twenty-one Bible scholars and writers contributed in "retelling the story of God's love and redemption of creation." The Voice reads in a more modern tone and the text also features lines that are italicized which indicates that the phrasing is not in the original text. Here's an example.

Matthew 4:1-3
The Spirit then led Jesus into the desert to be tempted by the devil. Jesus fasted 40 days and 40 nights. After this fast, He was, as you can imagine, hungry. But he was also curiously stronger because of His fast. And so He was able to withstand the devil, the tempter, when he came to Jesus.

I don't really like how they added their own words in with the text, even though they were italicized. One thing that I thought was really creative was the way they formatted the Bible to feel like a screenplay. There are also separate boxes on the sides that have more information on what you have just read so you can get deeper into the story. I personally don't really like this "translation." I don't even think of it as a translation of the Bible, it's just a retelling of the New Testament. I wouldn't recommend this to new believers because I think it can easily confuse them especially because they're most likely not  familiar with God's Word. I like the whole idea of making a translation thats easy to read and understand, but I feel that this version was a little too "watered down." 

My Rating: 2/5 stars

To buy this from the publishers click HERE
To read more reviews click HERE

 (This Bible was provided for review by Thomas Nelson Publishers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim