Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Story of Easter

Read and Share: The Story of Easter. Gwen Ellis. Tommy Nelson. March 2010. Hardcover with Dvd. 36 pages.

I received this copy of Read and Share: The story of Easter from Thomas Nelson's Booksneeze blogger program. The story of Easter is retold by Gwen Ellis in this beautifully illustrated children's book. It starts out with Jesus' donkey ride into Jerusalem and goes through to His ascension into heaven. This book is written at a level that, in my opinion, kids ages 4+ would enjoy. Each section, which is a two page spread, is titled and has the scriptural reference. One thing that I liked a lot is at the bottom of each page there are questions or "conversation triggers" that make it easy to start up a discussion on what you've just read. There's also a DVD that includes 6 short narrated stories from the life of Jesus and DVD-ROM coloring pages. At the end of the book there are a few pages with pictures from the story that are mixed up. The kids can have fun trying to retell the story in the right order.

"As everyone was standing there staring up into heaven, two angels appeared beside them and said, "Jesus has been taken away from you and into heaven. He will come back in the clouds, just like He was taken away." -The story of Easter

This is such a cute book. Right when I got it in the mail, I let my 3-year-old niece watch the DVD first. She kept wandering off a bit, but it had her attention for the majority of the time. Then I read the book to her and she enjoyed it, but she kept getting distracted. She had fun with the activity in the end and wanted to look through the book and see all the pictures again. Overall, I liked the book a lot and I think it's a very good resource to teach kids the story of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection in a way that they'll understand. This one, I would definitely recommend.

My Rating: 4/5 stars

If you would like to buy this book from the publishers click
HERE
If you would like to read more reviews click
HERE



(This book was provided for review by Thomas Nelson Publishers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated and won't show up until I approve them. Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation! :)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Loving You and Lavender Sweeties kits by Vera Lim